Sunday, March 22, 2009

(Mom's) Breakfast Cookies

I used to call these Mom's Breakfast cookies because I made them for myself and made the kids another version that was higher in fat and lower in fiber. Well, as it usually goes with kids, they want what's yours! So now they are just Breakfast Cookies.

1 3/4 cup date sugar*
1 1/4 cup brown rice syrup*
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 - 15oz can of pumpkin
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 1/2 cups of rolled oats
2 cups of wheat or oat bran
1 cup of flax meal
3 cups of whole wheat flour*
1/2 cup whey protein powder (optional)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 - 12oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat together sugar, syrup, oil, pumpkin, eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Scoop onto lightly greased cookie sheet. With damp hands; flatten cookies slightly before putting into the oven. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Don't over bake or they will be like hokey pucks! Makes about 60 cookies. If you are doing weight watchers it comes out to 2pts per cookie.

* I don't always have date sugar so I use a combo of xylitol and sucanat. If I don't have brown rice syrup I use agave or honey with a bit of molasses. You can use any oil you like. For the whole wheat flour sometimes I grind rice, barley, oats, or ezekiel mix and use that.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Backwoods Home

Backwoods Home Magazine - practical ideas for self-reliant living

BBQ

BBQ
a glimpse of things to come